Guy W. Paulson started business making window shades in his home on his birthday March 24, 1924. He measured and took orders from home builders while his wife Bess G. Paulson cut and made up the orders for him to install the next day.
Business prospered and in 1928 he purchased the assets and good will of the Rader Shade and Linoleum Company whose slogan was "A Shade Better Since 1921".
Mr. Paulson changed the company name to G.W. Paulson Company and continued to expand his shade and now linoleum business in downtown Portland at 921 S.W. Yamhill St.
In 1935, Guy Paulson entered into a partnership with his brother Max and opened G.W. Paulson Company in Tacoma, Washington and in 1936 another store was opened in Spokane, Washington with his brother Curt. In 1937, Guy Paulson and Jack Weiner opened Oregon Venetian Blind Co. and became the largest supplier of Venetian Blinds in the Northwest.
In 1938, Guy Paulson and Jack Dorries opened Paulson-Dorries Rug and Carpet on S.W. 10th and Washington Streets in downtown Portland - the first domestic carpet specialty store in Portland. In 1939, Mr. Paulson bought and totally renovated a two-story building at 820 S.W. Yamhill Street and consolidated the carpet store along with the shade and linoleum enterprises into the most up-to-date floor covering store in the area.
The war years took their toll with shortages of material and manpower and Guy Paulson passed away in July 1948. His sons Richard G. Paulson and Robert D. Paulson assumed responsibility for the Portland businesses and Washington stores respectively.
In 1949, a Portland branch store was opened in the Hollywood district, at that time the second most important retail business district in Portland. A few years later, the headquarters moved to N.E. 31st and Sandy Blvd. and the downtown Portland store was closed.
Richard G. Paulson along with the third generation of Paulsons, Donald G. Paulson and Richard G. Paulson, Jr. added a store in Kelly Square in Gresham in 1981 which kept an east side presence for the next 28 years, before closing in December, 2010.
In 1987, Paulson's opened their third and largest showroom in Tigard and the headquarters moved there shortly thereafter.
A fourth showroom was added in Beaverton in 1996 and moved to a beautiful new location in December, 2007.
Paulson’s opened a new showroom in Happy Valley / Clackamas in 2012 to again support the east side.
After 60 years at the Sandy Blvd location, our Portland store moved to the historic Buckman neighborhood in Southeast Portland, just across the Willamette from Downtown.
In 2015, Paulson’s opened a fifth location north of the Columbia River in Vancouver, Washington.
Paulson's Floor Coverings remains a family owned business to this day. The fourth generation of Paulsons is now actively involved in the business and excited to be a part of a lasting tradition.
Some of the advantages you gain by shopping at Paulson's Floor Coverings include: